‘International Walk to School Month’ takes place this October and is an exciting campaign designed to encourage physical activity into the daily routine, through walking to and from school in a fun and innovative way.
The aim of the focus month is to show your school community that walking to school:
- is a brilliant way of keeping active and healthy
- helps the environment, because fewer cars on our roads means less air pollution
- will not mean waiting in traffic jams and will possibly be quicker
- allows students to interact with their local environment and develop independence
- increases quality time with family and friends to enjoy the outdoors
- can help teach essential road safety skills, improve concentration and alertness
- will eliminate fuel costs
- can be FUN!!!!
Every year ‘International Walk to School Month’ brings together schools from across the UK to join forces with children, teachers and parents in more than 40 countries worldwide to celebrate the benefits of walking to school. During this year’s focus campaign, Medway council’s Sustainable Transport Team invite ALL schools and academies in Medway to compete in our two-week challenge ‘HEDGEHOG HIKE’ for primary schools and ‘THE SOCIAL NETWALK’ for secondary schools, where students will need to tally the highest percentage of walks for their school over the campaign.
The challenge will be taking place across the following dates:
WEEK 1: Monday 10th – Friday 14th October 2022
WEEK 2: Monday 17th – Friday 21st October 2022
If you are a Medway school please complete the following form for more information and to take part in the challenge: